Home Improvement Tips #51: Deck Decorating
Getting ready for Spring and Summer in New England means fixing up the deck from the damage it’s endured from the elements and get it ready for entertaining. The process for decorating your deck is very similar to the steps that you would use to decorate an interior room of your home.
1) Check out the structure. Before you break out the outdoor furniture, make sure that the structural integrity of the deck is still in place. You may want to consider hiring a deck contractor to replace any missing boards. You can also use this as an opportunity to enhance your deck by adding handrails, or giving it a fresh coat of paint to make it stand out.
2) Do some research. While in-person experience is best, you can look up online or flip through an outdoor living space magazine for styles of decor that you would like to emulate for your own deck. This will give you ideas on furniture, planters, and arrangement.
3) Get organized. Once your research is complete, organize what you’ve found that you like into tear sheets about how you would like your deck to function. Functions to consider could be outdoor dining, lounging, or entertaining around a grill in the summer. You can also use this time to understand where the smoke will blow when dining outdoors and place your grill and dining area accordingly.
4) Put the furniture down first. Set the “flow” of your deck with the largest pieces first. Then, consider adding more function with side tables, benches, or umbrellas.
5) The Devil’s in the Details. Now’s time to have fun with real decorating. Work from largest to smallest, functional to non-functional. Pretty potted plants are a nice accent, as are rugs, placements, and tablecloths. Keep in mind materials that won’t fare too well unless brought in every night, and be sure to take care of these items – or, if you don’t want to, don’t use ‘em!
Reading all these improvements and are seriously jealous about having a deck of your own? Deck construction is easy with RAM Construction’s outdoor deck building services. Be sure to also take care of the area surrounding your deck with other outdoor maintenance services – contact us today to schedule a consultation!
Source Article: Deck-orating Your Deck, HGTV