Put Your Tax Return to Good Use: 5 Home Improvement Project Ideas
It’s about that time of year: we all feel a little richer with that extra tax return cash sitting in our pocket. If you haven’t yet booked that vacation, it might be a great time to tackle that home improvement project you’ve been postponing. Upgrading your home is a great way to spend some extra cash – you’ll enjoy a more updated and comfortable home, as well as boost the resale value of your property. While not all remodeling projects are equal when it comes to increasing resale value, here are some of the projects that will give you the most bang for your buck.
1) Remodel Your Kitchen. The kitchen is the heart of your home: the gathering place for family and entertaining…and no home improvement project boosts resale value quite like a recently remodeled kitchen. If you can’t afford a major remodeling project yet, upgrading the kitchen cabinets is a great first project to tackle. It will completely transforms the look of your kitchen for a fraction of the price.
2) Remodel a Bathroom. After your kitchen, a bathroom remodel is the best home improvement project for boosting the value of your home. When it’s time to sell, buyers will be looking for modern fixtures, plenty of storage and clever use of space. Not in the market to remodel? You can transform the space by paying attention to the most outdated features of the room – maybe it’s time to replace that 1980s bathtub with a modern shower stall, or swap that ugly laminate counter for a gorgeous granite or quartz.
3) Build a Deck. Building a new deck is a great, easy way to expand your outdoor space. Create an extra “room” for relaxing, barbecuing, and entertaining. The best part about building a deck is the ROI. Even if you sell within a year, you’re likely to see a return on most of the deck cost in the sale price.
4) Hire a Landscaper. Is your front lawn looking a bit sad? Never underestimate the power of curb appeal, especially as we head into the warm spring weather. Your home might be beautiful on the inside, but if the lawn is ragged and unkempt, buyers will look elsewhere. While a complete landscaping project can be costly, start by hiring a landscaping professional to design a landscaping plan based on your needs and budget. You can then tackle that plan in stages as your money allows.
5) Replace Your Floors. Lastly, replacing your old floors is yet another great way to transform the look of your home. Maybe the carpet in your living room is aged and worn, or the vinyl floors in your kitchen are falling apart. Consider replacing that old carpet with gorgeous hardwood floors, which offers the best bang for your buck when it comes to resale value. If you can’t afford to do the whole house, use your tax return for just one room, such as the kitchen. Or, look into lower cost flooring options such as bamboo or laminate floor installation
Once you’ve determined a project to tackle with your new 2012 tax return cash, contact RAM Construction. We can help you with all of the above projects and more for your North Shore, MA home, from remodeling your entire kitchen to expanding your backyard with a stunning deck. So contact us to get started today!
Source: Service Magic Connection